Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On Being German (Read 620 times)
Chaim
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: On Being German
Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Hi Rene,

I hope that you understand that am not condoning stereotypes or hurtful taunting. It is wrong. G-d forbid that a child with a German background should be called a Natzi.

I am one and you are one. You shared your feelings in the poem posted. And I am shared my feelings - respectfully,  I hope - in my replies. The greatest thing that can happen is that we gain perspective and understanding  through our communication.

And for my part, I think I have. 

You probably think that I am closed person. But it has only been 60 years from the Holocaust and as much as I might be bothered by the fact that pockets of the World may be a bit anti-German,  I would much more scared if the world became apathetic and forgetful of what happened. 

When a bomb goes off  in a crowded square, people will get hurt and it doesn't matter who you are.  There are still survivors alive today. There are children of survivors, whose lives are different because of what their parents went through. There are Germans who from no fault of their own suffer from anti-German sentiment.

I think that it's too much to ask for everyone to completely bury the past and move on. It's enough to just listen respectfully to each other's pain.

Regards,
Chaim

IP Logged

nas
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
A child should not be held responsible for the actions of its parents/grandparents etc.  If you continually attack that that child because of what happened before he/she was born then you perpetuate the hatred.

Tell a child often enough that he is stupid, he will fulfill that expectation.  Tell a child often enough he is a Nazi then he may become one.  Tell a child often enough to be proud of being German he will feel good enough about himself that he won't need to hit out.

IP Logged

duetsdove
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 11:12am
Print Post  
If you think that this post was my attempt to look for "sympathy" for "my plight"

You are sadly mistaken.

This is a sorry state of facts. . .not only for my children, but for Lisa's children in their nationality, for your children. . .and the only way to stop the nonsense. . .is to recognize each other in each other. . .

Yes, Mein Kampf is written German. . .there are other things written in other languages that I could rebut with. . .but it would only serve to further segregate nationalities, creeds, belief systems. . .

and that I will not do.

What we must do is wipe out what Hitler stood for. . .the creation of a "perfect" group of people, the "wiping out" of not only the Jewish (as I stated previously) but the infirm, the elderly, the Jehovah's Witnesses. . .

We are all One. . .and when we can become one.  . .we will understand each one from their place.

It is understanding that aids in the evolution of the heart -- not simply "sympathy".

~R~
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  
IP Logged

Chaim
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Hi Rene,

I never said that you are disputing or hiding the Holocaust.

And of course I think that it's terrible that a child should have to endure insults for something that he or she did not do and something that he or she is not. Hate should not be tolerated. 

I would like to give you sympathy. I would like to be outraged. I would like to take away your sorrow and comfort you. I really would, Rene. From your poems, you seem to be a wonderful person. And I have no reason to doubt that your sons are just as wonderful.

I want your children to  be proud of all the great things that are German. 

And I know that the Holocaust could have happened anywhere. But I also cannot deceive myself that Mein Kampf isn't written in German. Or the shiver that goes down my back everytime I hear the name, "Adolf". 

I know that what I'm about to say may sound harsh. I know that it sounds harsh, but there is a part of me that just can't forget that your people killed six million of my people. I know that you didn't do it and your parents did not do it, but you're still connected to a community that allowed it to happen; or if powerless to stop it, did not speak out.

I know that I'm being unfair because if I had been German, I really don't know if I would have spoken out.

But life is unfair.

You said that my response would not bring the world closer together. And maybe you're right. You're looking for sympathy and I'm not giving that much of it. But I do hear how you feel. And I have shared with you how I feel. And maybe that is something.

Regards,
Chaim

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Nobody here, including myself, have disputed or sought to hide what was the Holocaust, Chaim. . .

I'm sorry. . .but I feel that you have missed the point of this poem. . .which was not to separate. . .but to bring together. . .

No, it is not any different than someone calling your child a kike. . .

and I certainly wouldn't respond. . .oh, well, it's no diferent than calling mine a Nazi. . .

I'd be outraged. . .that a young child would have to endure that insult.

I'd have to say. . .I'm a tad surprised and taken aback at your response. . .we will never "bring the world together" in this way.

Through the Seeking,
~Ren~

[
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 1970 at 12:00am by »  
IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Lisa ~

Thanks for taking the time to read. . .and to share your own story.  The tragedy is. . .as this thread can attest to. . .that there is far too much misunderstanding, to much labeling, to much fear, and not enough compassion for "the other side of the fence" in many instances. . .

not all but many. . .

Thank you for the reference to the Max Lucado book. . .yes, sharing stories like that can be very helpful to children put in a difficult position, whatever nationality and whatever reason.

It's so nice to have you back among us.  *smile*

~Ren~

IP Logged

Chaim
Supreme Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Hi Rene,

Hmmm...

I just want to say that I believe that a Hilter and a Holocaust could have happened anywhere. There wasn't anything evil about the German's that made it happen there.

Nevertheless, Hilter did come to power in Germany and a generation of Germans allowed 6 million Jews plus other groups of people  to be murdered.

Many Germans benefitted economically from the disenfranchisement and dislocation of their Jewish neighbors.

I'm sure there were many Germans that were uncomfortable about Hilter's Final Solution, but for the most part there was no German outcry.

I just mention this because what happened was beyond imagination. And as much as I wish to sympathize  with you and your children, I sympathize more with those who lost family and loved ones because of the Natzis.

It's like have a grandfather as a murderer in the family. People are going to point and ask all kinds of questions. And what can you really say.

I'm sorry that people, who want to be cruel label, you and your son with "natzi" just because you're German. But I'm not sure if it's any worse than a Jewish child bing called a kike, hispanic child being called a spik, or a African American be called a nigre.

It's all terrible. 

Regards,
Chaim

IP Logged

Elisse

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hi Ren,

First I would like to thank Norm on referring me to this great poem, 

when I was a child I would go back and forth from NJ to PR and picked up an accent besides my looks of course from fatherīs side, I was called niger, spic 'n' span or just plain spic, it was for only one year that my father had decided to put me in public school - I had always been in catholic school ' it was horrible for me that year ... I know exactly what you darling angel is going through and the pain he must be feeling - I remember that year in PS I almost flunked 3rd grade.

There is a book I bought for my kids called You are special I have the spanish version of course although I am teaching them english - we homeschool itīs from Max Lucado - itīs basically about a boy who lives in a place where the people that think your great give you a star and those that think bad about you give you a dot,

except for this little girl who had neither spts or stars - those who would notice she had no dots would give her stars but they wouldnīt stick but then those who saw she had no stars would give dots - but these didnīt stick either ... the noticed this and asked her how could this be because he wanted to be like her ' she told him to go to the man who lived up in the hill ... and well I think you have an idea of what this is all about (((smiles)))

for some reason everyone - somehow or someway sometimes even unconsciously labels and tags everything and sadly everyone - my heart goes out to you as a mother I can understand the anger and the hurt for what your angel is going through -

but now I have a question until when we will be sharing and caring amongst ourselves and not show teach the world what we know?

Iīm guilty as well but I do wish there something else we could do...

Love
Lisa

YIM  
IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 11:43am
Print Post  
*smile*

Well said Diane. . .thanks for leaving a calling card. . .

and your insight.

~Ren~

IP Logged

diehard
Supreme Member

evolving always

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Ren:
Quote:
the effort to understand. . . 

a daily quest
and
most desirable.

To all: Thank you for expressing your feelings; it's through this kind of communication that we not only learn but also grow .. together as a positive force in this challenged world

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
OWST and Joe ~

Thank you both for your wonderful words. . .and for joining in the effort to understand. . .

~Ren~

IP Logged

josephfinkleman

Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
It's odd, living on the west coast there is so much less, I didn't say any, but so much less racism here.  It is interesting to me since I am in the middle of writing another opera and one of the characters is a German Nazi and I am working on putting that human face onto him.  Germany as a political entity and I believe as a people have stood up and faced that horrible part of the human being and has matured, has grown from the experience, I actually am proud of the German nation for their acceptance and vigor at facing an ugly problem.  There are lots of countries with shameful genocides that cannot even admit that they too are monsters, that is to say human.  So as another Jewish man, tell your children to be proud of their German heritage.  Joe

IP Logged

One Who Stands Tall

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Rene,

I also agree with Norm, to anyone with German blood
in their veins be called a Nazi is just not well taught.

As well as blacks beings called many names and other races.

When will people learn that there is good and evil in all
races.

As for me I am German, English, Irish and Cherokee.
So want does that make me? Just another Human Being.

For years I have been called just a breed and I do not 
care for I too am tired of the iignornace of people.

When I was young I started to learn music and the Native American way of thinking. To learn the languge as well.

Many people do not know that there is still resevertions in this counrty without running water or electricy.

It takes all people of all races to understand this things.

It makes a big difference when all people can stand together.

My name One Who Stands Tall comes from and 
Apache and Lokota Sioux.

Please excuse my grammar and spelling for it has never been that great.

Be proud of your heritage as you are.

On my German side my Grandmother's name was 
Sonnenberg.

So my friend just keep writting as you will for it is a great outlet without really doing any harm to anyone.
Just might open some eyes and hearts a bit if we are lucky.

One Who Stands Tall

IP Logged

Normpo
Forum Administrator

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Rene,

Haven't you often seen that the sharing of pain creates a symbiotic (there's that word again) love for another? Sonmtimes siblings have to be reminded through a con-joined emotional pain that they really DO love each other.

Norm

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Just wanted to say thank you, Norm. . .for your consideration on Chad and Patrick's behalf. . .

it is appreciated. . .

Patrick says. . .Chad if they bother you. . .you just tell them your big brother wants to have a little discussion with them. . .lolol

Some days you think they would rather live in separate worlds. . .and then other days. . .you see the love.  *smile*

~R~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint